**This is a courtesy “winning habits” educational automated reminder service provided by Match Tennis App based on the match times from the USTA draws for the tournament that you or your child show as a participant. All reminders can be customized and turned on and off in your “my account” section of the Match Tennis App.
“If you want to be at the top of your game, you need good hydration, a meal of complex carbohydrates the day before, and a high-protein diet after.” “If you follow those rules, your performance will be better than someone who eats too many sugary and fatty foods.”~Timothy Sentongo, MD~Professor of Pediatrics (UChicagoMedicine)
Review the below pre-match meal guidelines graphic and check out some real pre-match meals of Grand Slam Champions
Example Pre-Match Meal Ideas
Adhering to the recommended pre-match meal intake ratio of carbohydrates, protein, and fats, below are some example ideas for pre-match meals:
- Egg white or Egg Beaters omelet, with two slices of whole-wheat toast or a small bagel and fresh fruit (morning Matches)
- A bagel topped with turkey and scrambled egg whites and low-fat cheese, served with fresh fruit or a low-calorie juice such as Tropicana 50, or light cranberry juice and water (morning Matches)
- A smoothie made from one cup of fruit, 20 grams protein such as one cup non-fat Greek yogurt or one scoop protein powder, and/or two tablespoons peanut butter or powdered peanut butter, one cup spinach or kale and one tablespoon ground flax or chia seedWhole wheat chicken sandwich with vegetables (morning Matches)
- Bean and beef burrito with tomatoes and avocado, veggies (anytime)
- Brown rice, salmon and roasted vegetables (anytime)
- Whole wheat turkey wrap with vegetables and hummus (anytime)
- Whole wheat pasta with sauce, grilled chicken and vegetables (anytime)
- Chicken and veggie whole wheat tortilla wrap, fruit (anytime)
- Mixed Green Salad with chicken, feta cheese, veggies, dressing, apples, crackers (anytime)
- Rice bowl with lean beef, beans, mixed veggies (anytime)
- Pita with hummus and veggies (anytime)
- A 6-ounce grilled chicken breast (6 ounces) , with a bowl of pasta with light red sauce, peas or corn and water (evening Matches)
- A grilled chicken sandwich – but go easy on mayo, and skip the cheese. Round out the meal with fresh fruit and pretzels (evening Matches)
- A 6- or 12-inch sub sandwich with roasted chicken, lean turkey or ham, peanut butter or soy protein for vegetarians on whole-wheat bread. Hold the onions, but all other veggies are fine. Choose mustard or light mayo and add a side of fresh fruit plus water or a low-sugar sports drink such as Gatorade 2 or Gatorade Zero (evening Matches)
- A lean pork chop, served with brown rice or baked potato with light sour cream and light cheese, peas/corn (evening Matches)
- Whole Wheat pasta with meatballs, bread, veggies (evening Matches)
- Meatballs and whole wheat pasta with sauce, mixed veggies (evening Matches)
Examples of liquids that you can drink ~3 hours before your competition include water and sports drinks, or juice. Review the hydration graphic below for the recommended hydration schedule for pre, during, and post match guidelines.
Test Your Current “How To Eat Healthy” Knowledge
Click the button below to take a short healthy food quiz to test your current level of knowledge.
Want Help Building Good Eating Habits?
Build healthy eating habits daily! Download our favorite healthy food assistant Start Simple with MyPlate app today.
Hydration is an essential element for one to perform at their very best. Not only is it important to athletic performance, but if you don’t properly hydrate prior to playing in the hot sun it can be dangerous. Please click the button to learn how hydration can specifically apply to each individual:
**This is a courtesy service provided by Match Tennis App based on the match times on the USTA draws for the tournament that you or your child show as a participant. Please email our support at email@example.com or click the chat button below if you experience any type of issue with this new educational feature. Good luck in your match!